One of the best things that I learned from Amy Dacyzyn in the Tightwad Gazette series, is the importance of being able to retro-fit a recipe to the ingredients you have on hand. She has several universal recipes in her series. Over time, I have developed my own mix and match recipe for bean soups in the crockpot.
- I begin with 1lb. of dried beans. I presoak them and place them in a crockpot. Then comes the creativity:
- Add about 6 cups of chicken broth, or water and bouillon.
Those are the only necessary ingredients. The rest is up to you. Here are some things that work well:
- 1-2 c. of meat (ham, sausage, browned ground beef, etc…)
- Cooked greens (Spinach, kale, etc…)
- Diced Veggies (Celery, Carrot, Onion)
- 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes (Ro-tel if you want spicy)
I let it cook all day in the crockpot. When the beans are soft, I add a good dash of Adobo seasoning and fresh ground pepper to taste. Enjoy!